Swisher ESP Safety Shelter Up to 6 Person Capacity - SR84X039GSKU: 66291083
Swisher ESP Safety Shelter Up to 6 Person Capacity - SR84X039G
ESP (Emergency – Security – Preparedness) Safety Shelters (above-ground only) offer the ultimate in multi-purpose protection and security for you and loved ones against violent acts of nature and multiple threats posed by man. Made in the USA, ESP Safety Shelters will withstand the most extreme tornado activity and offer a safe zone against home invasion.
It is preferable for the shelter to be installed within the interior of a residence. If you choose to install it outdoors, it must be within 150 feet of the residence it is intended to serve and must be protected from all external weather conditions. THIS SHELTER IS NOT WATERPROOF.
This Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has undergone and passed testing at the National Wind Institute at Texas Tech University. It has also been tested and withstood a total of nine impacts from 15-pound 2x4s traveling at 100 mph. These impacts are equivalent to the force produced by an EF5 tornado with 250-mph winds.
This ESP Safety Shelter model has been verified by the National Storm Shelter Association (NSSA) to be in compliance with FEMA 320, FEMA 361 and the ICC-500-2014 Code requirements when installed per the manufacturer’s guidelines and inspected by a qualified inspector. Step-by-step Installation checklists and Inspection checklists are provide with each unit.
This shelter has been designed by Registered Structural Engineers and has undergone a rigorous third-party review process. Statement from FEMA P-320: "Having a safe room built for your home or small business can help provide 'near-absolute protection' for you and your family or employees from injury or death caused by the dangerous forces of extreme winds." Near Absolute Protection definition from FEMA P-361: Level of protection afforded to the occupants of a safe room built according to the guidance in the most current edition of FEMA P-361. Our current knowledge of tornadoes and hurricanes indicates that safe room occupants will have a very high probability of being protected from injury or death.
These shelters are designed to be a DIY project, but once the shelter installation is completed, it must be inspected by a qualified inspector. Contact your local building inspector or find an engineer or architect in your area. Visit www.nssa.cc to find a pre-approved list of installation companies. The NSSA type 4 seal will provide a warranty after the installation check list and final inspection checklist are complete and sent to the manufacturer. The NSSA type 4 seal and a Certificate of Installation will be sent to customers after the manufacturer has received the installation checklist and final inspection checklist. The Limited Lifetime Storm Damage Replacement Benefit does require that all installation procedures be followed and documented proof must be submitted to the manufacturer. 5 year limited warranty.
- Internal 80”L x 35”W x 76”H
External 87”L x 42”W x 78”H
Up to 6 Person Capacity
- Provides near absolute protection from EF5 tornado strikes.
- Provides a high level of protection for you and your family against intruders.
- Acts as vault that provides protection for your valuables and other personal belongings. (Not fire rated due to the design requirements to withstand severe storms.)
- The entire shelter is made from 3/16” (0.188”) thick carbon steel, all hardware is Grade 5, and the majority of all surfaces are powder coated for ultimate protection and appearance.
- The door design and the materials used are critical aspects of any storm shelter. The Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has a unique sliding reinforced steel door that eliminates problems commonly associated with inward and outward swinging doors.
- When opened, the sliding door takes up no additional space inside or outside the shelter. Also, because the door does not open outward, the likelihood of being trapped by debris after an event is greatly reduced or eliminated.
- A Security Grade Deadbolt holds the latch bar into the locked position and keeps the door from being opened from the outside.
- Three steel pins securely lock the door closed within a 3” deep steel jamb pocket. The ESP Safety Shelter’s design does not rely solely on deadbolts as the primary locking mechanism.
- The door on the Swisher ESP Safety Shelter has a 4th locking pin that can only be installed and removed from the inside. Even if the security deadbolt is damaged from the outside, with this pin properly installed, the door will never open (unless the inhabitants remove this pin).
- A single handle operation locks all three pins into place in a single motion. There is never any need to waste precious time trying to lock three or four deadbolts to secure your door.
- The ESP Safety Shelter does not rely solely on hinges to support and secure the door to the hinge jamb. When our door is in the closed position, the entire hinge side (top to bottom) is locked into the adjacent front wall. No screws to pull out or pins that may break.
- Shielded air vents allow uninterrupted air flow.
- Quick release sliding door design allows opening when blocked by debris and reduces space required for operation.
- Quick manipulating locking mechanism works in conjunction with a security grade latch/key lock.
- Emergency panels for rapid shelter exit with an emergency wrench included.
- Bolt together modular design for ease of construction and relocation.
- Benches, shelving, and built-in gun racks are also available.
- 5 year limited warranty
Rural King provides a defect or damage warranty within 30 days of receipt. All Manufacturing Return Policies Supersede Rural King's Return Policy.